DAY-1; My First Day of Rock Climbing in Three Years

First Day of Rock Climbing in Three Years Equals Sore Feet and a Bruised Ego

Today was my first day back on the rock for over 3 years. It was not a very good experience at all. My shoes were too tight, my fingers were killing me and each time I tried to lift up my body it felt like I had a stone around my neck.

Not only did I feel discouraged, I wanted to immediately go home and sell my shoes on craigslist because they were too tight and I wanted ones that were more comfortable. My shoes were a nuisance, plus I only ascended two routes, both V0’s. I felt pathetic. Climbing was supposed to be fun, at least that is what I remember.

As I sit at home trying to stretch out my shoes and writing this blog post, I am encouraged by reading all the reviews online saying how great these shoes are. I am not sure whether or not this is my feet becoming numb for having worn them for the past hour, but I am beginning to hope that they will work out.

Day 1 can be summed up like this:



  • My feet feel like they have been put into a clamp
  • Arms are too weak to lift my body
  • Fingers feel like they lost a battle to a grinder
  • The La Sportiva Venoms seem to have the upper hand
  • I am not sure if I want to go through the effort to climb again
  • Jumping off of the back of the boulder was painful


  • I am climbing again
  • I started this real cool new blog
  • My wife is OK with it

I don’t know what is going to happen with my climbing future. But I am glad you came along!


7 Responses to “DAY-1; My First Day of Rock Climbing in Three Years”
  1. Ryan Avezzie says:

    your the man brotha. keep on climbing. everything that is difficult can only get easier as time passes. as long as you stick with it. remember when i brought you out to taco bell beach in pacifica for your first time, and now look at you getn barrel pics at jalama. thats how we roll right?

Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] that when I started this year off, I had not climbed in three years and not seriously in five.  My first day consisted of the following: Not only did I feel discouraged, I wanted to immediately go home and […]

  2. […] solid quality time with me over the past few months and was also the subject of my first day of getting back into climbing. This Boulder is at the heart of the University near the Emerson Hall Dormitory (hence the […]

  3. […] expectations and completed the second half of the current project: The lengthy [V4] traverse of the Emerson boulder. At this point I can’t say that tomorrow’s planned attempt with [Enare] will be […]

  4. […] Journal to reflect the progress I have made in my climbing since I got back into the sport in February. Unfortunately, balancing a busy schedule in addition to climbing as much as possible, my […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: